The Equality Act
Currently, the Equality Act has passed in the House and will be picked up and voted on soon by the Senate. Don’t be fooled by the title of this bill. Calling it the “Equality Act” is deceiving because this bill is not about treating all people with equal levels of respect (something Bible-believing Americans should do). This bill is about forcing churches, schools, business owners, women’s shelters, and any and every other sector of society into embracing practices that violate one's conscience and one's convictions.
Below, we have done our best to help inform you about this dangerous piece of legislation and then it is followed by the call to action.
1 - The Equality Act will categorize clear teaching of Scripture as discriminatory.
As Bible-believing Christians we believe that...
- God created mankind in His image and that He only gave mankind two designations: male and female (Genesis 1:27).
- God created marriage as a union between one man and one woman for life (Genesis 2:24).
- God created sexual intimacy to be a beautiful and satisfying part of marriage and that any sexual act outside of marriage (Hebrews 13:4) and outside of God's design of marriage (as defined in the Scripture) is forbidden. The Bible clearly and specifically forbids homosexual acts (Romans 1:26–27).
These convictions have not been recently-established so as to discriminate against any person or group of people. They have been held by Bible-believing people for thousands of years. What the Equality Act does is it identifies a person's conviction in the area of gender identity, marriage, or sexual relation as discriminatory. It is a threat to our right to free speech and guarantees the offended party ramifications that includes, but I'm is not or won't be limited to, fines or the lose of ones job.
2 - The Equality Act designates schools, churches, and healthcare organizations as "public accommodations."
These has several ramifications:
- It could force Christian adoption agencies to place babies in homes with same-sex couples.
- It could force schools, churches and healthcare organizations to accept the government’s beliefs and mandates about sexual orientation and gender identity.
- It will legislate that we allow boys in girls’ sports, boys in girls’ locker rooms, men in women’s shelters, and men in women’s prisons.
- It will force teachers and students to publicly pretend that a biological male is a female.
- Schools will be encouraged or mandated to instruct first, second, and third graders that they can choose to be a boy or a girl, or neither, or both, making biological sex (and science) a relic of the past.
- It will use the force of law across all 50 states to strip Christian and other religious ministries of their right to hire people of shared faith to pursue a shared mission.
- It will strip health professionals of their rights of conscience. It will force doctors and medical professionals who long to do no harm to engage in gender transition treatments such as hormone-blocking, cross-sex hormones, or surgery.
- It will be a tool used by the government to deny or threaten accreditation to religious colleges and universities if they do not satisfy the demands of the secular Left to apply sexual orientation and gender identity to dorms, sports, places of privacy, and even teachings.
3 - The Equality Act puts our women and children in vulnerable positions and allows our children to make life-altering decisions without parental consent..
The bill specifically states: “an individual shall not be denied access to a shared facility, including a restroom, a locker room, and a dressing room, that is in accordance with the individual’s gender identity.’’ One of the reasons we as a society have gender-segregated restrooms is to provide protection and privacy for women and girls. This bill removes that protection allowing a man who identifies as a woman to enter a women’s restroom, locker room, dressing room, or any other shared facility. “Shared facilities” could even include domestic violence shelters. Even more egregious, because of the broad-sweeping definitions in this bill, it could also limit parental protection for children who are confused regarding their gender identity, literally requiring doctors to give them life-altering medical treatments without their parents’ consent.
4 - The Equality Act limits religious liberty
One of the great blessings of living in America is Religious liberty. James Dobson called the Equality Act “a thinly veiled attempt to finish off religious liberty in America once and for all, which ought to be plainly obvious based upon a cursory reading of the First Amendment.” In the same article, he further explained, “This decision demonstrates a frightening willingness by those on the left to advance a radical social agenda at a time when our nation already faces so many other divisive challenges. Simply put, by creating a protected class of citizens out of the LGBT community, this bill places Christians who believe in traditional marriage at grave legal and civil jeopardy.” So while Christians have always believed that every person should be treated with equal dignity as image bearers of God, they should stand in opposition to this misguided bill. The Equality Act does not protect people from discrimination; it suppresses religious liberty, endangers children, and discriminates against basic Bible beliefs.
5 - The Equality Act would override the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act
The 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act gives people a way to challenge government requirements that they feel infringe on their religious rights. The religious freedom act was needed because of a Supreme Court ruling in 1990 that said First Amendment protections for religion couldn’t be invoked to challenge a law if the law itself wasn’t intended to specifically target religion (e.g., a measure like the Equality Act). Without the ability to even appeal for those rights, the Equality Act would put religious Americans in unconscionable positions.
Call To Action
There are two actions that we need to take right now:
CALL our two senators and ask them to vote AGAINST this bill. The bill only needs sixty votes to pass and our senators need to hear from us that we want them to vote NO.
- You can reach the office of Timothy D. Kane at 202.224.4024
- You can reach the office of Mark R. Warner at 202.224.2023
Even for the senators who have already made their position on this bill clear, I think it’s important for them to hear from their constituents. All you need to do is make two phone calls. It’s that simple.
PRAY for our two senators to make the right decisions and vote against this bill and pray that there would be enough senators with backbones to resist the pressure that is being put on them to vote in favor of this bill.